[webkit-dev] Request for comments

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 03:33:48 PDT 2008

2008/8/14 Jack Wootton <jackwootton at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Kalle Vahlman <kalle.vahlman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/8/14 Jack Wootton <jackwootton at gmail.com>:
>>> I think perhaps this depends on how you choose to categorise what has
>>> (not) happened to the s60 webkit port.  I choose to view it at a
>>> company granularity, here's why: It is the same company, the same
>>> legal entity, the same policies, same guidelines, same work ethics
>>> etc.
>>
>> If you actually believe that, you probably don't know the big
>> corporate world too well.
>
> I know it pretty well.  I know it well enough to understand that most
> multinationals try extremely hard to standardise corporate processes,
> tools, methods and approaches.  Multinationals really do expend a lot
> of time and effort in standardisation of many areas of said
> organisation.

Emphasis on _try_. ;)

>> I'm not saying Nokia has handled the S60 port well (I've heard
>> otherwise), but certainly they are within their rights in not
>> maintaing open sourced code[1]. Blackmailing them with empty threats
>> about unrelated contributions is hardly going to buy you better
>> support in any case...
>
> Er..., blackmailing? Who said anything about blackmailing?  Could you
> point out where any blackmailing occurred?
> Er..., threats? Who said anything about threats?  Could you point out
> where any threats occurred?

You said:
"Before Nokia can submit anything back to the WebKit community they'll
have to:" [list of things like apologies etc]

Sounds like threatening to refuse contributions to me, but you might
of course mean "I hope that nokia would..." with that statemen.

> I think you've got a little carried away here.

You did too with hijacking this thread for ranting ;)

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi