[webkit-dev] Plugin Questions

SON SEOK BAE sbson at kt.com
Wed Apr 9 23:19:30 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I'm looking into Plugin source of WebCore, and it brought me some questions.
I want to test plugins by myself, but I didn't succeed in building webkit on Windows so far..
(So, I wasn't able to progress any longer..)
So, I decide to ask question to you.

Oh, WebKit ports that I need to consider are 2 things.
"Apple's ports of WebKit on Windows" and "GTK+(or Cairo) port of WebKit on Linux".
(I mean, I'm considering 2 platforms -- Windows and Linux. Graphic engines are not yet decided.)

1. Which Plugins should I use?
If I want to show contents (for example, Flash animations) with WebKit port, what kind of flash player plugings should I install for webkit?
I mean, will it be Flash player for Safari or Flash player for Firefox or something else?
And are they really pluggable and working well with WebKit ports?
(I just don't understand why there are different "pluggins" for Safari and Firefox even though they use the same plugin interface -- NPAPI.)

2. Which SDK should I use to develope plugins for webkit?
Let's say I develope plugins program. Then, where can I get SDK for it?
And are there documents for WebKit pluging APIs and how to program plugins for it?
Well, if there are some docs on WebKit Plugin Architectures, that would be even more great!

3. Currently, Which existing plugings are supported by WebKit?
Among well-known plugings such as
- Flash animations
- Java applets
- PDF
- silverlight
- real player
- window media plyer
- etc... (I can't come up anymore at this moment...)
which plugins are working with WebKit and which aren't?

Thank you in advance!!

Seokbae