[webkit-dev] Questions on WebCore compoments

손석배[단말개발담당] sbson at kt.com
Wed Apr 2 03:09:27 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I'm analyzing WebKit and I'm lost in WebCore sub folders..

\WebCore\bindings
\WebCore\bridge
\WebCore\page
\WebCore\editing
\WebCore\plugin

Would anyone can explain to me what above foldrs are for and how they works?
Basically, I have no clues on 3 folders from the top.

Furthermore, I have below questions, too.
- bindings: Is it for language conversion (like C++ <-> javascript, C++ <-> Objective C? then, what is "script" folder for?)
- bridge: no clue. (looks like language-conversion-related folder to me) what is the difference between "bindings" and "bridge"? And why does it have plugin-related files?
- editing: looks like an editor. Then, why is it here in web browser engine? and how is it related to other compoment?
- page? no clue..
- plugin: looks like Netscape style plugin support (NPAPI). how does it work and what component does it work with?
              (and.. plugins such as PDF or Flash are pluggable with webkit?)

Would anyone please shed some light on these?

Thank you in advance!