[webkit-dev] Re: please don't add new code using DeprecatedXXX classes, especially in platform specific code

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Mon Oct 29 15:56:27 PDT 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 3:50 PM, Alp Toker wrote:

> A quick grep suggests that much of the DeprecatedString use both in
> the core and in the ports stems from KURL offering only
> DeprecatedStrings in its API. Is this because KURL is somehow
> deprecated, or is it just a throwback?
>
> Rewriting KURL to use String might be a good step towards this goal,
> and provides an opportunity to lose the K* naming convention at the
> same time. I can look into this some time if you think it's a good
> direction.

Agreed. Yes.

KURL is one of the last bastions of DeprecatedString.

KURL is not itself deprecated, but it is overused a bit. It should not
necessarily be used for every URL. It's only useful when the URL needs
to be parsed into component pieces. It preserves the result of
parsing. If you just want to pass the URL around, String suffices.

And yes, we definitely want to change KURL to use String instead of
DeprecatedString, rename it from KURL to URL (or maybe ParsedURL to
emphasize its proper use), and also use it in fewer places. And do
this without making things that are currently fast, slow.

     -- Darin