[webkit-dev] Re: please don't add new code using DeprecatedXXX classes, especially in platform specific code

Alp Toker alp at atoker.com
Mon Oct 29 15:50:05 PDT 2007

Darin Adler wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I've noticed some new code going in using some of the Deprecated-prefix
> classes, such as DeprecatedString.
>
> While in some cases this could be unavoidable, in general it's a step
> backwards for the project.
>
> We're working as hard as we can to eliminate these classes entirely, and
> if you add more uses it makes that job harder. Please go out of your way
> to use suitable replacements, for example String instead of
> DeprecatedString.

A quick grep suggests that much of the DeprecatedString use both in the
core and in the ports stems from KURL offering only DeprecatedStrings in
its API. Is this because KURL is somehow deprecated, or is it just a
throwback?

Rewriting KURL to use String might be a good step towards this goal, and
provides an opportunity to lose the K* naming convention at the same
time. I can look into this some time if you think it's a good direction.