[webkit-dev] How to debug webkit source on windows platform

Matt Lilek webkit at mattlilek.com
Tue Oct 23 06:54:28 PDT 2007

On 10/23/07, ÖÜÒãÊé <yishu.zhou at famoco.com> wrote:

> Hi, guys,
> I built webkit successfully on windows platform, but i didn't create
> Safari.exe file, so installed Safari on my pc, and copy Safari.exe to
> WebKitBuild/bin, and then executed run-safari command, it's ok. i want to
> ask it's right or not? In addition,my question is how to debug webkit source
> on VS2005 on windows platform.
> Thinks.
>
> --
> Best
> yishu

Open source WebKit only consists of things like the JavaScript and rendering
engines.  You cannot build Safari.exe as the Safari application is closed
source.  You don't need to copy anything to the WebKitBuild directory, the
run-safari script will automatically find the Safari.exe installed on your
system and launch it with the dll's in WebKitBuild.

As for debugging in VS2005, there are some brief instructions at the bottom
of <http://webkit.org/building/debug.html>.  I know in VC++ Express there's
an "Attach to Process" option in one of the menus that you can use to debug
- what the equivalent of that is in regular Visual Studio, I'm not sure (if
it's different).

Hope that helps!

- Matt