[webkit-dev] Should we consider switching to git over svn?

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Mon Oct 8 22:40:27 PDT 2007

> ... and only follows the trunk, AFAICS. Whether you switch to git or
> not, I'd like at least the feature-branch to be available in a git-svn
> bridge.

Git has it's own svn bridge, if you add
[svn-remote "svn"]
         url = http://svn.webkit.org/repository/webkit
         fetch = trunk:refs/remotes/trunk
         fetch = branches/feature-branch:refs/remotes/feature-branch

to your .git/config file, you should be able to do
git-svn fetch
git checkout -b my-local-feature-branch feature-branch

to checkout the feature-branch into local-feature-branch,
unfortunately this will take literally hours (i think more than 5),
this was the slowness i was talking about.
It maybe possible to do git-svn fetch -r 26000, but i believe in that
case git would only have history for those revisions after r26000

If you have commit rights you would need
     url = svn+ssh://username@<whatever the ssh+svn url is>

and then git-svn dcommit will commit directly to svn

> Mike

--Oliver