[webkit-dev] Should we consider switching to git over svn?

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Mon Oct 8 21:29:36 PDT 2007

In recent weeks/months a number of webkit developers have started
using Git for day to day development, and have found it very useful.
Git is yet another revision control system, but unlike RCS's such as
cvs and svn it allows local branches and makes merging branches much
easier.  In addition to making bracnhes much more manageable, it has
a few other advantages:
   * Speed: Git is much faster than svn (which becomes very valuable
on windows,
   * History: Git's history is much nicer than that of svn,
especially with regards to patches submitted by people without commit
rights, as it is able to distinguish the author of a patch from the
person who committed it.
   * Collaboration:  It is possible for people to publish their git
tree's in a way that allows them to be tracked by others, allowing
people to collaborate on bugs and/or features much more easily
without actually committing to a central repository.

Unfortunately, git is still not as user friendly as svn, and has a
relatively steep learning curve (largely due to it using some similar
commands to svn for completely different purposes :-/ )

On the other hand, those of us using git currently have to use the
git-svn bridge which, while functional, is somewhat slow.  I think
(and i'm hoping others agree) that despite the slightly more complex
interface the improved merging, branching, and speed mean that we
should seriously consider switching to git as our primary RCS.

Any comments from others are welcome.

--Oliver