[webkit-dev] Netscape API plugins for WebKit on Linux

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Mon Oct 8 05:40:32 PDT 2007

On Monday 08 October 2007, Song Yuan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I successfully built WebKit based on Qt port on Ubuntu. The "browser"
> in Qt window works really fine. But when I tried the test cases in
> "/LayoutTests/plugins" that uses Netscape API, none of them works as
> expected. I'm wondering how the progress is on WebKit/Qt port right
> now, especially regarding plugins that use Netscape API.

Netscape plugins do currently not work with the Qt port. This is something
that is on our Todo list however.

The main issue here is that it's not straightforward to do NS plugins on
Linux. We basically have to do them out of process due to library dependency
issues. But that is non-trivial due to the fact that NS plugins expose a
synchronous scripting bridge between the web page and the plugin.

> Two questions about it though:
>
> 1) The source code corresponding to the plugins used in test web pages
> in "/LayoutTests/plugins" like the one with MIME type of
> "application/x-webkit-test-netscape" seems to be located at
> "/WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree/TestNetscapePlugIn.subproj", which is
> organized as Xcode project. Does Qt port on Linux share the same
> source code for plugin here?

No, the Qt version of DumpRenderTree doesn't currently share any source code
with the one for OS X.

> 2) In WebKit on Mac, source code of plugin is built with "Info.plist"
> in the same package ("Cocoa Bundle" template) to be deployed in
> "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/" directory. As to WebKit on Linux, which
> is the directory to deploy plugin? Is the source code built into
> shared object, just like what Firefox on Linux did?

We currently add a small Qt based test plugin to DRT. This is linked
statically into DRT. Apart from that QtWebKit searches for plugins in
QT_INTALL_PREFIX/plugins.

Hope that answers your questions,
Lars