[webkit-dev] platform/ reorganization

Nikolas Zimmermann zimmermann at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Nov 16 04:20:17 PST 2007

Good evening WebKit folks,

at some point we decided to break up platform/ into several
subdirectories. I started with 'graphics', since then
quite some other subdirs evoled ('network', 'posix' etc. just to name
a few). Since I'm about to start some novel
work on fonts (in the process of adding SVG fonts support), I'd like
to continue this for text/font.

I'm yet unsure wheter we should have platform/text, platform/fonts,
platform/bidi - or just a single directory platform/text
and like to hear some opinions about that. I'm trying to group files
by categories for now:

platform/bidi:

BidiContext.cpp
BidiContext.h
BidiResolver.h
UnicodeRange.cpp
UnicodeRange.h

platform/font:

Font.cpp
Font.h
FontCache.cpp
FontCache.h
FontData.cpp
FontData.h
FontDescription.h
FontFallbackList.cpp
FontFallbackList.h
FontFamily.cpp
FontFamily.h
FontSelector.h
GlyphBuffer.h
GlyphPageTreeNode.cpp
GlyphPageTreeNode.h
GlyphWidthMap.cpp
GlyphWidthMap.h

platform/text:

TextBoundaries.h
TextBoundariesICU.cpp
TextBreakIterator.h
TextBreakIteratorICU.cpp
TextBreakIteratorInternalICU.h
TextCodec.cpp
TextCodec.h
TextCodecICU.cpp
TextCodecICU.h
TextCodecLatin1.cpp
TextCodecLatin1.h
TextCodecUTF16.cpp
TextCodecUTF16.h
TextCodecUserDefined.cpp
TextCodecUserDefined.h
TextDecoder.cpp
TextDecoder.h
TextDirection.h
TextEncoding.cpp
TextEncoding.h
TextEncodingRegistry.cpp
TextEncodingRegistry.h
TextStream.cpp
TextStream.h
TextStyle.h

I'd actually vote for a single directory platform/text, containing
all of the above files.
Though if anyone has better suggestions, please speak up.

I'd volunteer for doing the move, as well as changing all project
files / includes for all ports.

Greetings,
Niko