[webkit-dev] Origyn BAL abstraction for WebKit: branch request

Jean-Charles VERDIE (Pleyo) jcverdie at pleyo.com
Wed Nov 14 02:27:57 PST 2007

Le 14 nov. 07 à 07:23, Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :

> I am ok with this in principle. However, in general, being on a
> branch doesn't align you with the project as closely as staying in
> sync with the trunk. In particular, there is still the risk of
> ending up diverging from the core. In particular the S60 port may
> take a long time to merge up to a more modern baseline. Still, it is
> probably better to be on a branch in webkit.org than in a completely
> separate repository, in terms of code sharing and communication.

I agree. My intention is that a branch is first step, to let us be
closer to core source and to evangelize our vision with actual code
within the repository, but hopefully we end up in the trunk sooner or
later.. The sooner the better, afaic

> Are there any other opinions? Besides being a meta-port, what
> specific platforms and libraries does your version of WebKit target?

If you only consider the Browser point of view, there are absolutely
no dependency except with OWBAL APIs. These API are bound to libraries
of course when talking about an actual port.
As far as reference  ports are concerned, targets OS are Linux 2.4 /
2.6, uClibC (0.9.28.3 without pthread, and 0.9.29 with pthread
activated) and libC.
WRT libs, it can be almost anything

> Does anyone working on OWB already have SVN access?

Do you mean people from our repository have access to webkit SVN ?
Nobody (except read-only of course)

Regards
Jean-Charles

--