[webkit-dev] Moving away from qmake

Oliver Dole odole at sand-labs.org
Mon Nov 12 05:15:34 PST 2007

Hello,

Here is my experience with cmake, so I hope it may help you to decide
which build system is the best for you.
Its first advantage is that it is cross platform. So you can imagine
in a long term approach to have a unified build system between
GTK/Qt/Wx/Win and mac.
Another advantage is that it is from my point of view quite simple to
understand and to use for basic stuff like adding a library dependency
to the build. Moreover there are many ready to use macro to ease this
work. As an example, if you want to add a dependency with JPEG
library, use FindJPEG module and it will store useful info in
variables like JPEG_LIBRARIES.
About documentation, well simply have a look at
http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Documentation.html page, it should convince
you.
Another feature I like are curses interfaces for your project
configuration (you can switch options, compiler flags and even
compiler). And of course you do not have to rebuild the whole project
each time you modify things. And if things are done correctly you do
not even have to rebuild the whole project when you add a new feature.
Imagine that you have built WebKit/GTK without SVG support and you
want to add it. It can simply recompile svg missing .o and of course
redo linking. Of course that's not true if you switch from a debug
build option to a release build.
Of course from time to time you may have to rebuild the whole project
because you have modify things in cmake config files.
Another insteresting features is that cmake allow you to create a
build directory where will be stored all your object files. So your
source tree remains clean.
About drawbacks, the main is about cross-compilation. I know that
cmake guys work on this issue but currently I still have to do ugly
things when I cross compile webkit because of dftables. As a matter of
fact dftables is also cross-compiled and when you try to run an ARM
dftables exec on a x86 arch, it cannot work. But I hope I will be able
to fix this soon. The more people are involved in Cmake process, the
more we get chances to overcome these little issues.
The other drawback you can have is that you will have to
compile/install cmake when you are in a scratchbox environment.
And if you want to give a try to cmake alternative, let me know, I can
provide you files to compile WebCore/JavascriptCore with cmake. And I
can also try to help you to meet your goal.

Regards,

Olivier DOLE
Pleyo
Software Engineer