[webkit-dev] Moving away from qmake

Mike Hommey mh+webkit at glandium.org
Mon Nov 12 02:48:09 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 03:34:48AM +0000, Alp Toker <alp at atoker.com> wrote:
> An unforeseen benefit of the new build system is that it is modular,
> rather than monolithic, and has no dependency on GLib/GTK+ or any other
> framework. This means that it will now be possible to use JavaScriptCore
> as a standalone scripting engine independently of WebKit.

Except that for the moment, JavaScriptCore is a little bit different if
built for the Qt port or the Gtk+ port, so it couldn't be shared between
both, which is pretty sad, actually.

As for switching away from qmake, I'm all for it, though I have no problem
having to use qmake for the Gtk+ port, since I'm already building both Qt
and Gtk+ ports in one pass for the Debian packages. I'll only add this: it
would be nice to avoid linking to indirectly used libraries where possible,
though it may be challenging. (I'm using -Wl,--as-needed for that matter)

Mike