[webkit-dev] Keeping track of supported specs on wiki

Rob Burns robburns1 at mac.com
Fri Nov 9 14:55:50 PST 2007

Hello all,

On Nov 9, 2007, at 2:56 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Philippe Kalaf wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I created a new wiki page at :
>>
>> https://svn.macosforge.org/projects/webkit/wiki/SpecSupport.
>>
>> The point is to track the specs that are currently supported or
>> not. For
>> the specs that are being worked on (partially supported), we should
>> have
>> a detailed progress page similar to the SVG status page at :
>>
>> http://webkit.org/projects/svg/status.xml.
>>
>> My knowledge of the supported specs is limited so I only modestly
>> filled
>> in the table. I would appreciate it if everyone pitched in to
>> complete
>> this table. If you are working on a spec please create a detailed
>> status
>> page as well.
>>
>> Once we have a more complete tables, I can write a script that would
>> convert them into a nicer colored HTML tables that we can have on the
>> main website.
>
> Thanks for creating this page - I think it's a useful resource. I
> think instead of a yes/no support page, we should list
> specifications we are targeting, and rough status of implementation.
> No implementation of a web spec is truly bug-free so I am not sure
> it is ever correct to say "Full", but it could be in a "Stable"
> state where you think you have complete feature coverage and few
> known bugs.
>
> Also, I'm not sure we need to mention standards that we are *not*
> targeting. I will update the list with this in mind.

I have to say I like Philippe's version of the page better. I think it
is more appropriate for an open source project like webkit. I would
agree with Maciej that the word "stable" might be more appropriate
than "full". However, I think its better to show all of the standards
whether targeted by Apple or not. It might make sense to have an
asterisk on the "no" response to indicate that Apple has no plans to
target a particular standard. However, I assume other contributors are
free to bring standard supports to WebKit. I know of two such projects
myself where contributors are working to bring standards support to
WebKit not currently targeted by Apple.

Perhaps the status column should be one of:

  • No
  • No* (not targeted by  Apple)
  • Partial
  • Stable