[webkit-dev] Augmenting WebKit contextual menus for non-plugin content

Nathan Duran webkit at khiltd.com
Fri May 25 16:39:01 PDT 2007

> Flimsy in what sense?  If QuickTime (or any plugin) can take over
> PNG, then PNG image support when the <object> tag is used would
> effectively be broken.  Suddenly all sorts of built-in browser
> functionality breaks.  Web sites would break.  The end user would
> have no real understanding of what was going wrong or how to fix it.

Flimsy in the sense that QuickTime should have simply stopped registering
itself to handle that MIME type rather than making it impossible for ANY
plugin to register itself for any MIME type. That's like trying to keep
fleas off your dog by draining all the blood out of it.

There is absolutely nothing you can possibly do to stop people from
installing stupid things on their computers. The best you can hope to
accomplish is to provide your developers with simple, clearly documented
methods to accomplish their goals in order to reduce the risk of
catastrophic failure.

> Augmenting contextual menus really has nothing to do with plug-ins,
> so I'm not sure how the conversation ended up at plug-ins.  :)
> Changing context menus is getting more into the realm of extensions.

Semantics are fun, aren't they? How about if we invent a third category and
call them "add-ons" just to delineate some more imaginary boundaries that
keep those bug reports in someone else's inbox?

I get the fact that it doesn't work the way I want it to and probably never
will. That doesn't mean that this is an ideal situation which I have no
right to find objectionable.

> Plug-ins should not be allowed to break your browser.

Right, only Apple employees should be allowed to do that.