[webkit-dev] Augmenting WebKit contextual menus for non-plugin content

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Tue May 22 12:41:07 PDT 2007

Hi Nathan, thanks for your interest!

> Unfortunately, I cannot find any sort of public interface or
> implementation for
> WebImageView anywhere in the WebKit source tree (so much for "open
> source"),

Actually due to the open source nature of the project, the tools are
available to figure out why you can't discover anything about such an
interface - WebImageView no longer exists.  It was removed about a
year ago and we now use WebCore to render full frame images.

http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/changeset/14414 is a link to
the changeset that implemented this

> I searched through the archives and the only mention I could find of
> anything similar pertained to something known as SafariStand, and the
> explanatory link that was offered has long since gone dead.

Which archives did you look through?  http://trac.webkit.org/ is the
home to changelogs and repository - thats where to discover anything
about the code that you wish.  If you haven't already, I'd recommend
checking out a copy of the tree as well for this kind of hacking.

> Is there any officially sanctioned means of accomplishing what seems
> like it should be a
> fairly trivial feat, or am I stuck guessing at what WebImageView
> does based
> on its method names?

That, I don't know for sure as I'm unfamiliar with that area of the
code.
Experimenting a bit I can see that the context menus you see when
viewing a full frame image are largely identical to that of viewing an
image inline.
The code used to construct the menus is partially in WebCore and
partially in WebKit.   Searching the projects for ContextMenu and
ContextMenuClient in WebCore and WebContextMenuClient in WebKit might
get you started finding your answer

Good luck!

 Brady