[webkit-dev] Using WebKit (or KHTML/KJS) and LGPL violation

Rob Burns robburns1 at mac.com
Thu Mar 8 14:05:10 PST 2007

Dear Brian,

I understand what you're saying. However, I think there Tivo (we
don't know enough about the iPhone) took specific steps to "push" the
GPL license. Obviously, none of these licenses have been tested in
court, but what Tivo did is a completely different issue than the
question of whether one could hypothetically embed these libraries in
a device. Requiring code signing is an issue perpendicular to
embedding (since it could take place on a desktop computer too). For
someone simply considering embedding without adding obstacles to
users that violate the LGPL license, section 6 shouldn't get in the way.

In my own judgement Tivo has overstepped the bounds. My hunch is that
iPhone will be more versatile than developers imagine (that's just a
hunch I have no special information).

take care,
Rob