[webkit-dev] Using WebKit (or KHTML/KJS) and LGPL violation

Brian Campbell lambda at mac.com
Thu Mar 8 13:20:48 PST 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 3:05 PM, Rob Burns wrote:

> Dear TG Noh:
>
> My sense is that lawyers would have trouble reading the LGPL
> license literally: mostly because they do not understand the
> technical issues behind this stuff. If the lawyers you spoke to
> think that Safari fully complies with the LGPL then in what way
> does Safari running on an iPhone not satisfy the LGPL? Is it
> because it is running on an OS loaded from a flash drive rather
> than a hard drive? Is it because users would not be able to easily
> load a different browser in its place. It's hard to imagine what
> these lawyers could be thinking, but my guess is that they just
> don't fully understand the technology.

I think the issue at hand (which is fueled in large part by
speculation at this point) is that the iPhone has been described as a
"closed" system; as in, people will not be able to transfer their own
binaries to it and run them. I would assume that would mean that they
aren't able to transfer their own dynamic libraries and/or recompiled
versions of Safari, either. This sounds to me like it would mean that
no LGPL'd code could run on it, because such restrictions violate
section 6 of the LGPL. On the Mac, there is no issue, because WebKit
is a dynamically linked library that you can change at will; this is
how the WebKit nightlies work, and how you can run your own modified
version of WebKit under Safari.

As I said, this is mostly speculative at this point because we have
no specific information on what sorts of code Apple will allow you to
run on the iPhone, what kinds of modifications will be allowed, and
so on. However, from what I've heard, there are some very concerning
issues about LGPL violation. Everything I've heard says that the
platform will be closed, which implies to me that you will not be
able to run any of your own binaries on it, including replacing
LGPL'd libraries.

It's possible that a Tivo style loophole will apply here (sure, you
can run your modified version of the program with the library
replaced, but not on our hardware), but I think this would come down
to what "modification of the work for the customer's own use" means.
I would argue that the only meaningful "use" of the version of Safari
(and other WebKit based apps) for the iPhone is running it on the
iPhone, which would mean that being a completely closed system would
violate the LGPL, but this is only my opinion, not legal advice.

I haven't been able to find references to issues like this in the
past, but I'm sure it must have come up. On the Tivo, all of the
discussion has centered around their use of DRM to prevent unsigned
kernels from being run, which the GPL doesn't prevent because it
doesn't specify that you must be able to use your modified kernel on
the same hardware. In this case, however, the LGPL section 6
specifically does mention use (as well as reverse engineering), and
it's the LGPL section 6 that is the operative portion that allows
these libraries & their derivative works to be distributed. Can
anyone point out any previous discussion of this sort of issue;
running programs that depend on LGPL'd libraries on closed platforms?