[webkit-dev] ResourceHandle and the Frame parameter

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Jun 12 17:26:06 PDT 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2007, at 2:33 PM, Darin Adler wrote:
>
>> I think we'll have to rethink this. ResourceHandle is intended to
>> be a low level networking layer, and so it doesn't make sense to
>> have higher level concepts like a Frame*, but clearly we'll need
>> to make a design change so there's a higher level that's easy to
>> plug in to.
>>
>> Or we can just give up on the notion of ResourceHandle as a low
>> level networking abstraction.
>
> As Darin says, the intent is that ResourceLoader is the layer that
> knows about high-level networking stuff in the engine,
> ResourceHandle is supposed to be low-level and ignorant of the
> higher-level loading code. In my opinion, the right way to put in
> hooks that depend on the loading context would be to add
> appropriate ResourceHandleClient methods.

Now that I think about it, I guess that won't do much to help you add
port-specific hooks - although the ResourceHandleClient (normally a
ResourceLoader) could call up to a platform-specific WebKit layer via
FrameLoaderClient. It's hard to tell what the best model is without
more details about why the low-level networking code in question
needs access to the high-level objects.

Regards,
Maciej