[webkit-dev] Your opinion on a CSS proposal

Windy Road tom at windyroad.org
Mon Jun 11 03:45:22 PDT 2007

On 07/06/07, Andre-John Mas <ajmas at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Is the idea to ensure that the image is displayed at about the same
> size on both screens, or that less data is sent in the low-res
> scenario?

Both.

One thing that should be noted is that the 'IMG' HTML tag has a 'LOWSRC'
> attribute, which is intended for a low resolution version of the image,
> but I don't think that ever made it into CSS.

My understanding of the LOWSRC tag is it allows for a smaller version of the
image to be downloaded and displayed while the full size image is being
loaded.  I don't see how it will help in this situation.

If a low-res device happens to be a TV, then there is a media type 'tv'
> which can be specified so the right CSS is used.

But CSS doesn't apply to the src of the img element.

Just a quick look at CSS and I see that 'absolute' units are available
> for specifying size, such as in, cm and mm. See:
>
> http://htmlhelp.com/reference/css/units.html

Adjusting the displayed size of the image is not an issue.  The issue is how
to deliver a high res / low res images depending on the resolution/screen
size of the browser.

Cheers,

--
Tom Howard