[webkit-dev] AtMail 5.x and Safari

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Jul 31 22:32:01 PDT 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 3:07 PM, David D. Kilzer wrote:

> Joe Auty <jauty at indiana.edu> wrote:
>
>> Apparently the developers are working on adding Safari advanced
>> interface support, but in the meantime I was sort of curious as to
>> what
>> the technical hurdles may have been with supporting Safari? Does
>> Safari
>> have some issues with parsing XML documents that Gecko is capable of
>> handling?
>
> XML parsing support has been greatly enhanced (thanks ap!) in WebKit
> since the
> last version was released with Safari 2.0.x.  The first question
> (technical
> hurdles for supporting Safari) would probably be best asked of the
> AtMail
> developers who know much more about what Gecko features it uses.
>
> Bug reports about specific failures on http://bugs.webkit.org/ are
> always
> welcome!  (Reduced test cases will help them get fixed even faster.)

We support XML in general quite well, but we have no support for XUL,
which is a proprietary Mozilla-specific UI language. It sounds like
AtMail has dependend heavily on proprietary, browser-specific
technologies in both IE and Mozilla, which is somewhat unfortunate.
They could probably do much of what they need to with standard, cross-
browser web technologies.

Regards,
Maciej