[webkit-dev] Re: [webkit-changes] [24723] trunk/WebCore

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Sat Jul 28 03:52:36 PDT 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007 00:26:19 Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2007, at 11:36 AM, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > On Friday 27 July 2007 16:50:01 Darin Adler wrote:
> >> I'm not happy with the code organization here. XMLTokenizer now has
> >> tons of ifdefs and two separate implementations. It's fine to have a
> >> QXmlStream implementation, but the two implementations should be in
> >> separate files, side by side, as we do in the platform layer.
> >
> > I agree that the #ifdef's are not optimal, and we can move parts of
> > the code
> > out. But currently a lot of code is still shared between the
> > QXmlStream and
> > the libxml based implementations, so we have two choices:
> >
> > 1. just add an XMLTokenizerQt.cpp and duplicate lots of code.
> > 2. add a qt/XMLTokenizerQt.cpp and a libxml/XMLTokenizerLibXml.cpp
> > and keep a
> > common XMLTokenizer.cpp for code that is used in both.
> > 3. Have some ifdef's in the one file.
> >
> > The first option is no good, as we'd have to duplicate lot's of
> > shared code
> > leading to maintenance issues in the long term.
> >
> > The second option is better, but also here we'd have quite a bit more
> > duplicated code than required as long as we don't do some bigger
> > refactoring
> > to abstract out the common parts. This is something we wanted to
> > avoid at the
> > moment. So we went for option 3.
>
> Other organizations have requested the ability to use other XML
> parsers as well, such as expat. Seems like in the long run we want a
> different approach than just ifdefs in the XMLTokenizer.cpp file. It
> seems like the best would be some abstraction layer on top of the
> parser library, but if that is difficult then your option #2 sounds
> like a docent long-run approach. I would have expected just about
> every XML parsing library to have a SAX-like API, which shouldn't be
> too hard to abstract, but perhaps QXml works differently.

I guess that assumption doesn't hold. QXmlStream is a streaming parser with an
API that is very different from SAX. It IMO a whole lot simpler to use than a
SAX like API and is inspired from similar APIs in the Java world. If you're
interested, have a look at http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qxmlstreamreader.html

Cheers,
Lars