[webkit-dev] WebKit Project Goals

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Jul 26 00:09:39 PDT 2007

On Jul 24, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
>> I sent this a while ago with not much comment. Any thoughts? Should
>> I post this on webkit.org somewhere?
>
> I think you should!

All right, done.

I made a few changes as suggested by others:

On Jul 24, 2007, at 11:27 PM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> Would it not be worth making an explicit goal of accessibility, or at
> least explicitly bracketing it under usability?

I added mention of accessibility to the usability goal.

On Jul 25, 2007, at 4:34 AM, David Carson wrote:
> Maciej,
> A couple of comments:
> Maybe in relation to the your licensing email, the LGPL statements
> should be updated.

I made it specifically mention LGPL 2.1+.

> Is there a tool  or tests that can be used to ensure that
> Performance doesn't regress?

We use a number of benchmarks internally at Apple, sadly most of them
depend on things that are not freely redistributable. There are
however some publicly available JavaScript and DOM benchmarks.

> With 'Hackability', maybe add something about automated tests help
> ensure rapid progress.

I added mention of automated regression tests.

On Jul 25, 2007, at 10:35 AM, Adam Roben wrote:
> Here's a possible additional goal:
>
> Community - We strive to create a courteous, welcoming environment
> that feels approachable to newcomers. WebKit maintains a public IRC
> chat room and public mailing list where the ideas of contributors
> both new and old are heard and discussed with equal weight.

I added this to the "Open Source" goal, because I think it's a key
part of being a real open source project.