[webkit-dev] WebKit licensing and LGPLv3

Donald C. Kirker dkirker at wapuniverse.com
Tue Jul 24 23:41:39 PDT 2007

Hi Maciej,

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> 1) We will continue to accept only code that's licensed under a
> BSD-style (no advertising clause) license, or LGPL 2.1, or other
> compatible license. We don't want to accept code that's LGPL 3 only,
> as that would make the whole project LGPL 3.
As I understand it, yes (standard IANAL disclaimer here). I have no
objects with this.
> 2) We'd like to change the copyright notices from their current mix of
> "LGPL 2 or any later version" and "LGPL 2.1 or any later version" to
> just LGPL 2.1, to make this clear. This one is maybe more debatable,
> so I'd like to know if anyone objects. It would prevent incorporating
> WebKit code into LGPL 3 projects, and would require sign-off from all
> copyright holders to ever change to a different LGPL version in the
> future (in case the FSF came out with a version 3.1 or 4 that solved
> some of the problems with v3).
I think sticking with "LGPL 2 or any later version" might be best for
now. The reason I say this is it puts fewer limits on what GPL projects
WebKit, or parts of WebKit (I suppose), can be incorporated into.
Personally, I am not a big fan of (L)GPL v3 (although, I have not really
followed it since the first draft), but I still think that it is good to
be as less restrictive as possible, in certain senses.

-Donald Kirker