[webkit-dev] WebKit licensing and LGPLv3

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Tue Jul 24 23:05:52 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 01:51, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> 1) We will continue to accept only code that's licensed under a BSD-
> style (no advertising clause) license, or LGPL 2.1, or other
> compatible license. We don't want to accept code that's LGPL 3 only,
> as that would make the whole project LGPL 3.

I think continuing to require "LGPL 2 or later" would be the most sane and
most compatible.

> 2) We'd like to change the copyright notices from their current mix of
> "LGPL 2 or any later version" and "LGPL 2.1 or any later version" to
> just LGPL 2.1, to make this clear. This one is maybe more debatable,
> so I'd like to know if anyone objects. It would prevent incorporating
> WebKit code into LGPL 3 projects, and would require sign-off from all
> copyright holders to ever change to a different LGPL version in the
> future (in case the FSF came out with a version 3.1 or 4 that solved
> some of the problems with v3).

I object. I would like to reserve the right to integrate WebKit with LGPL 3
projects like future KDE libs.

Though since we are talking LGPL the linking-issues are not that problematic,
it would still make it easier if the project continued to include the "or
later" clause.

Regards
`Allan