[webkit-dev] WebKit licensing and LGPLv3

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Jul 24 16:51:47 PDT 2007

Hi Everyone,

With the release of GPLv3 and LGPLv3, I'd like to take a moment to
discuss WebKit licensing. LGPLv3 includes some restrictions beyond the
previous version that make it difficult to accept for many key
contributors and users of WebKit, including Apple. Given this, we'd
like to keep the project at LGPL 2.1, to make sure it can be used in
all the ways it is used today.

To that end we'd like to do two things:

1) We will continue to accept only code that's licensed under a BSD-
style (no advertising clause) license, or LGPL 2.1, or other
compatible license. We don't want to accept code that's LGPL 3 only,
as that would make the whole project LGPL 3.

2) We'd like to change the copyright notices from their current mix of
"LGPL 2 or any later version" and "LGPL 2.1 or any later version" to
just LGPL 2.1, to make this clear. This one is maybe more debatable,
so I'd like to know if anyone objects. It would prevent incorporating
WebKit code into LGPL 3 projects, and would require sign-off from all
copyright holders to ever change to a different LGPL version in the
future (in case the FSF came out with a version 3.1 or 4 that solved
some of the problems with v3).

Thoughts?

Regards,
Maciej