[webkit-dev] Safari or webkit issue - http getting chopped,

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Jul 19 12:33:06 PDT 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 11:21 AM, Andre-John Mas wrote:

> Let's try this again, this time with the text:
>
> I have a server in my domain called 'chat' and have a Tomcat server
> running
> there on port 8081. On that Tomcat server I have web application the
> provides
> an RSS feed. The URL I normally use is:
>
> http://char:8081/ds/rss-feeds.do
>
> This page is a form allowing me to select the feeds I want from the
> server.
> This works correctly. Now when I tell the server that parameters for
> the RSS I
> start getting issues. The RSS query is:
>
> http://chat:8081/ds/rss.do?report=visits

Is it correct that one is char and the other is chat?

In any case, please file a bug, and attach a tcpflow dump of the
network transaction. It looks like something is misinterpreting
"chat:" as a protocol instead of a host name, but I can't tell just by
guessing

> What happens is that I get told:
>
>  The page you opened redirected you to a page that isn’t supported
> by Safari.
>  Safari can’t open the page “chat:8081/ds/rss.do?report=visits”
> because it
>  cannot redirect to locations starting with “chat:”.
>
> This is strange since this page works correctly in Firefox (Mac,
> Linux,
> Windows), IE6 and Opera. Using wget also shows no redirection
> happening. I am
> suspecting that this is something is Safari/Webkit going funny.
>
> A few things I have tried:
>
>  1 - changing application/rss+xml -> application/xml  -- same
> behaviour
>
>  2 - changing application/rss+xml -> text/plain -- same behaviour
>
>  3 - changing <rss version="2.0"> to <xxx version="2.0"> -- same
> behaviour
>
>  4 - doing both 3 and 4 -- URL doesn't get mangled

It sounds like this is something Safari RSS is doing, probably it
converts the URL to a feed: URL by stripping off the "http:", and
prepending feed:, but then it mistakenly thinks chat: is the URI of
what the feed: protocol points to. But it's hard to be sure without a
reproducible case, and I'm not sure why the query would affect this.

Regards,
Maciej