[webkit-dev] Branch for Gtk/Gdk port

Krzysztof Kowalczyk kkowalczyk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 14:58:58 PST 2007

Speaking purely for myself, not the webkit team...

Fixing compilation issues due to refactoring changes is trivial. In
the past I can recall only one issue that required me to spend
non-trivial amount of time figuring out a fix for a change due to
refactoring. So a branch doesn't make a difference for that.

The problem is that at any given time there usually are just 0 or 1
people actively working on gdk port. If the number is 0, the port is
usually broken. If the number is 1 then port usually works. So the
solution is to have at least 1 person working on gdk port i.e.
attracting more people that make fixes and submit the patches. Given
that in recent times gdk port has been stable and that didn't attract
new contributions, I don't see how a branch will make a difference.

And finally, a branch that isolates from changes in trunk causes you
much more pain during merge and based on my past experience of doing
merges from hell after working on a branch, it's not at all clear to
me that this is a win. You trade a series of small, short pains for a
big, long pain.

-- kjk