[webkit-dev] SVG Stabilization

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Wed Feb 21 14:20:20 PST 2007

Andreas,

More testing would be great!

Our existing tests are in LayoutTests/svg/. They include the W3C
tests, version 1.1. You can run our tests with the run-webkit-tests
script, passing it --pixel to generate pixel results. I don't think
pixel tests work very well for SVG right now, so you probably just
want to verify your results in the browser. More information is, of
course, available at webkit.org and on #webkit on the
irc.freenode.net IRC server.

I would recommend adding unit tests to LayoutTests/svg/ on a feature
by feature basis, starting with the features that you see as most
important. As you probably know, it's important for tests to cover
default behavior as well as edge cases. Edge cases for attributes
includes no value, an empty string, 1 above and 1 below a numeric
limit, very huge positive and negative numbers, very long strings,
etc. Edge cases for elements includes use in incorrect context, CSS
cascading, overflow, scrolling, and dynamic movement through
JavaScript. Edge cases for both includes dynamic insertion and
removal through JavaScript. I'm sure you can think of more.

We also want to test SVG in different contexts: <object>, <embed>,
<iframe>.

As far as timeframe is concerned, we can't comment specifically on
the next Apple release of WebKit, but we are hard at work on
stabilizing WebKit in order to make it suitable for release.

Thanks,
Geoff