[webkit-dev] Building on Linux

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Thu Feb 15 14:19:00 PST 2007

On Feb 15, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Jean-Charles VERDIE wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :
>> The platform/ directory is already supposed to be a browser
>> abstraction layer. I'm not sure why a second layer of abstraction
>> would be necessary. Anything additional that needs to be
>> abstracted should just be added as new WebCore/platform or
>> JavaScriptCore/wtf classes.
>
> When we started our work few months ago, we were planning to use a
> fully abstracted browser to simplify (and speed up) ports on
> various embedded systems. Platform/ did not met our expectations
> because it did not proposed a clear abstraction between the browser
> and the system

I think maybe you misunderstand the intent of the platform/
directory.  It has nothing to do with the browser.  It is an
abstraction for low-level stuff that WebCore needs to use... such as
strings, timers, graphics, images, fonts.  It is not about the
embedding layer or about communicating with a browser wrapper.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)