[webkit-dev] Building on Linux

Jean-Charles VERDIE jcverdie at pleyo.com
Thu Feb 15 09:13:47 PST 2007

Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :
> The platform/ directory is already supposed to be a browser
> abstraction layer. I'm not sure why a second layer of abstraction
> would be necessary. Anything additional that needs to be abstracted
> should just be added as new WebCore/platform or JavaScriptCore/wtf
> classes.

When we started our work few months ago, we were planning to use a fully
abstracted browser to simplify (and speed up) ports on various embedded
systems. Platform/ did not met our expectations because it did not
proposed a clear abstraction between the browser and the system, and
mainly, it was very difficult, if only possible, to use parts of one
implementation in another. Moreover, we wanted to keep the capability to
easily cut a feature by just cutting its implementation.

We wanted to avoid using too many #ifdef , or dpointers, but instead
have a clean API to propose to people wishing to port webkit to a new
platform, or (worse?) to an existing platform using slightly different
libs...

Regards,
Jean-Charles

--