[webkit-dev] Building on Linux

Jean-Charles VERDIE jcverdie at pleyo.com
Thu Feb 15 02:54:21 PST 2007

Hi

For our WebKit customization, we first used Bakefile from the original
gtk port.
The issue with it was that it was impossible (or we didn't figure how)
to make a .so and a .a from the same sources and on the same target.

We dropped it to switch to CMake which we find very interesting for our
goals: highly customizable, it's flawless to change a library dependency
before launching a compilation.

It's really interesting since our refactoring is based upon a clear
split between what is really (from our point of view) WebKit, and what
is platform+OS dependent (font engine, graphic context, threads, and so
on). To have a powerful configure engine meant to us to be able to :
- cross compile while minimizing modification in the tool chain and the
meta-makefile.
- be able to quickly switch from an implementation to another.
- keep the source directories clean (build the project in foreign
directories).

We find out that CMake matched theses goals. While it's probably not the
only one, it still is one :)

I hope that we can eventually merge our toolchain with other's efforts
to try and minimize the number of toolchains for un*x platforms.

Regards
Jean-Charles