[webkit-dev] Integrating the GTK port

atul atul.mehrotra at celunite.com
Tue Feb 13 04:04:38 PST 2007

hi Juan

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 11:55 +0100, Juan Antonio Suarez Romero wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> In the WebKit homepage, one of the projects that people can contribute
> is to integrate the existing Gtk port into the source tree. I suppose
> the "existing Gtk port" is the Gtk-Webcore" port
> ( http://gtk-webcore.sourceforge.net/ ).

I had a discussion with many people on #webkit & it seems people
consider Gtk-Webcore Project ( http://gtk-webcore.sourceforge.net/ ) as
dead project. Well but still, if people had any plans to do Integrate
the GTK-Webcore project then please mention.

> What is the relation between this port and the existing Gdk port? Should
> the gtk port replace the current existing gdk stuff? Or both need to be
> maintained?

Also gtk-webcore project is quite old & different from the current GDK
port in many aspects. I havent seen anyone maintaining gtk-webcore
project except a few initiatives here & there. It lacks much of the
further webcore enhancements. If you have seen the gtk-webcore code
base's NRCore library it is much earlier version(less featured too) of
current Webkit's Webcore .

The current GDK port of Webkit is also not much maintained. It is having
a much advanced WEbcore but it lacks a NRCit kind of abstraction layer
which is there in GTK-webcore Project.

> I don't know if the gdk should be replaced in future by Gtk elements, or
> if only some elements of Gdk should be implemented with elements of gtk
> port.

About replacing GDK elemets with GTK elements , it is much on the demand
of the kinda of browser interface. According to my understanding GTK
elements internally use GDK drawing primitives. So GTK provides much
nice Widget set than the drawing primitives of GDk. (Correct me if i am
wrong!!!)