[webkit-dev] Stabilization Spree '07: Trunk checkins restricted, Bug Days

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sat Feb 3 16:13:29 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

After discussing it with various people for a while, we've decided to
take the next step of Stabilization Spree '07.

Trunk Checkins Restricted
------------------------------

Starting Wednesday, February 7th, we are going to limit trunk
checkins to the following categories:

- Critical bug fixes: crashes, hangs, regressions, compatibility
issues with major sites. Basically all P1s.

- Porting changes that only affect that specific port, or have only a
small impact on the core cross-platform code.

- Significant (P2 level) bug fixes where the change seems simple and
low risk.

For any other kinds of changes, including the following, we will ask
that you hold off, or to use a branch:

- New features (including new CSS properties, unimplemented tags and
attributes, new DOM APIs, new areas of functionality in general):

- Bug fixes that seem low value (not known to significantly affect
real-world sites) but high risk (code change to fix it is large).

Bug Days
-----------

On Wednesday and Thursday of next week we'd like to encourage
everyone in the WebKit community to show up on the #webkit channel on
irc.freenode.net to help with the stabilization effort. Even if you
don't have a lot of experience with fixing P1 bugs, doing bug
reductions, or testing and filing new bugs, there will be experienced
WebKit developers around to help. We will keep track of who submits
the most P1 bug fixes, the most bug reductions, and the most new
critical bugs, ad there may be some sort of public recognition at the
end.

We especially encourage developers working for companies that have
expressed an interest in porting WebKit and having a more stable
trunk to show up and help out. Now is your chance to start
contributing back in a way that benefits everyone.

Regards,
Maciej