[webkit-dev] SVG performance benchmark

Andreas Neumann neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 18 22:58:08 PDT 2007

Working a lot with SVG on the Mac I can confirm that the Webkit
implementation is among the faster. In some cases the Adobe SVG viewer
is still faster, but Webkit is faster when it comes to DOM
manipulations, creating/changing/deleting a lot of elements. I still
have to track down the cases where the Adobe viewer performs
significantly better than Webkit.

Opera 9 is probably the most complete browser when it comes to SVG
features, but it is slower especially when the size of the SVG DOM is
larger than >5-10000 elements. Firefox SVG on the Mac is awfully slow,
maybe due to the fact that Cairo is poorly implemented on the Mac? (just
a guess). On Windows, Firefox SVG performs a lot better, on Linux I get
very different results, depending on XServer/Graphics card.

It will be interesting to see how well webkit performs for animations
and filters, once they get implemented in future releases.

Andreas

Ryan Breen wrote:

> http://www.ajaxperformance.com/?p=58
> http://ajaxian.com/archives/performance-test-results-show-strong-webkit-outcome
>

> Thought you might be interested to see some cross browser SVG
> benchmarks which show the latest WebKit nightlies as the top performer
> for a Dojo Charts application.
>
> Ryan

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/