[webkit-dev] setup help for win32

Sebastien Le Faou slefaou at wimba.com
Fri Apr 13 06:43:24 PDT 2007

Hi Mikael,

> Hi !
>

> I have tried to get web kit to build on win ( in VS 2005 ). I've
> followed the instructions but I get following problem when compiling
>

> 1>c:\webkit-proj\javascriptcore\wtf\tcspinlock.h(157) : fatal error
> C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pthread.h': No such file or directory

In fact Win32 does not support *pthreads* because those threads are
defined by the POSIX standard ('pthread' = POSIX thread).

So you have to find an implementation of pthread.h for Win32. This web
site provide us a good solution : http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32/

What you need here is only the files to include in visual studio (as
pthread.h) and the library files :
ftp://sourceware.org/pub/pthreads-win32/dll-latest. The *include* and
the *bin* are what we need.

So go on your favorite command processor and open a /ftp/ connection to
/sourceware.org/

what I have done :

$ *mkdir* /your_path/*/include*
$ *cd* /your_path/*/include*
$ *ftp sourceware.org*
User (sourceware.org:(none)): *anonymous*
Password: /type enter/
*cd pub/pthreads-win32/dll-latest/include*
*wget **
mget md5.sum? *y*
mget pthread.h? *y*
mget sched.h? *y*
mget semaphore.h? *y*
quit
$ *mkdir* /your_path/*/bin*
$ *cd* /your_path/*/bin*
$ *ftp sourceware.org*
User (sourceware.org:(none)): *anonymous*
Password: /type enter/
*cd pub/pthreads-win32/dll-latest/bin*
*wget **
mget libpthreadGC2.a? *y*
mget libpthreadGCE2.a? *y*
mget md5.sum? *y*
mget pthreadGC2.dll? *y*
mget pthreadGCE2.dll? *y*
mget pthreadVC2.dll? *y*
mget pthreadVC2.lib? *y*
mget pthreadVCE2.dll? *y*
mget pthreadVCE2.lib? *y*
mget pthreadVSE2.dll? *y*
mget pthreadVSE2.lib? *y*
quit

Then we will have to notice to visual studio where this boy can find
these libraries and include files. ( Visual Studio 2005 professional
edition : *Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solution -> VC++
Directories* ).

> 1>Project : warning PRJ0018 : The following environment variables were
> not found:
>
> 1>$(WebKitSDKDir)
>
> 3>$(BuildBot)

These appear to be only warning, so I don't think it is a problem,

Nevertheless, for the moment you can't build Webkit on windows, there is
too many bugs to fix.
I'm trying to to build it with QT and not with Win32 (it doesn't work,
but I'm pioneering the stuff).

I hope this helps.
If there so many details it is just because I created a little
documentation for my company mates, if they want to do it ;-) .

Have a good day.

Seb.