[webkit-dev] Google Summer of Code and a WebKit project (introduction)

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Thu Apr 12 13:35:30 PDT 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 6:39 AM, Holger Freyther wrote:

> I will be carrying out a WebKit related project for http://
> www.openmoko.org during google's summer of code. My project will be
> to work on the Gdk/Cairo port of WebKit and my goal is to make it
> at least as complete as the Qt port (including svg). So please stay
> tuned for my patches.
>
> I will at least spend a month full time on this project and
> probably half time during the remaining months. I will completely
> focus on this project to make sure to complete it in time. I hope
> to have time left to look into the <animate> element of SVG and
> make it work as well.

    This is great to hear! I'm sure the Gdk guys will be very happy
to have some help. You should definitely start hanging out in #webkit
on irc.freenode.net and get to know people, and familiarize yourself
with our Bugzilla installation at http://bugs.webkit.org/. You
probably already know this from the multitude of other projects
you've worked on, but many small patches made throughout your work
are much easier to deal with than one large patch at the end of it all.

    Some people who can probably provide advice on IRC are Krzysztof
Kowalczyk (kjk) and Mike Emmel (not sure of his IRC nick) for the Gdk
port, and Oliver Hunt (olliej), Nikolas Zimmermann (WildFox), Rob
Buis (rwlbuis), and Eric Seidel (MacDome) for SVG. I know there is
some SVG animation support that was landed by Eric recently.

    Out of curiosity, who is your mentor on this project? Do they
have any WebKit experience, or purely OpenMoko?

    Welcome to WebKit!

-Adam