[webkit-dev] relative JS speed between Safari/Firefox

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Sat May 27 09:04:40 PDT 2006

On 5/27/06, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 26, 2006, at 5:35 PM, Mike Emmel wrote:
>
> > I was looking at the Linux KDE numbers KJS where it is a lot slower.
> > I actually did not see the last number till later after the email
> > was sent.
> > I was looking at the treecode branch.
> >
> > Its impressive I did not believe it was possible to get a AST to
> > perform on par with bytecode you learn something every day
> > historically there 5-10 times slower.
> >
> > Its seems I was wrong and gave the link to prove it :)
> >

> > In this case Firefox1.5 on Linux with a score of 24 should be compared
> > to Safari 2.0 with a 22 and indeed the performance is on par.
> > Note that  Opera is a 10.  Now with a bytecode interpeter Webkit
> > should be down with Opera maybe even better.
>
> In those results, Firefox on Linux and Safari on a PPC Mac aren't
> running on comparable hardware, so no, I don't think the performance
> is on par. I'll also note that current TOT WebKit is likely to be
> significantly faster than Safari 2.0. Then again, Firefox trunk
> nightly builds could be faster too, for all I know. Feel free to
> rerun the benchmark yourself on newer versions, perhaps on an Intel
> mac which should allow even cross-OS comparisons on comparable hardware.

I think I've been soundly refuted  for my statements I think a better approach
would be to keep my mouth shut. I do find it intresting that a AST
based interperter
is showing performance on par with bytecode solutions. All I can hope
for now is enough posts to the group to  bury this thread in the
archives.

Mike