[webkit-dev] JavaScriptCore

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Fri May 26 17:13:34 PDT 2006

On May 26, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Mike Emmel wrote:

> Finally found some benchmarks form what I can tell Firefox is
> significantly faster on scripts
> then Safari
>
> http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html#testresults

On the test you linked I see Safari 2.0 getting 27 seconds compared
to Firefox 1.5's 40 seconds on the script speed test.  That's even
just Safari 2.0.... TOT is much faster than 2.0.  Your definition of
"fast" doesn't seem to match up with mine. :)

Which specific JavaScript test in that chart shows Firefox to be
faster than Safari?

> Again please prove that KJS is faster then SpiderMonkey everything I
> finds shows not only is this not true but it is significantly slower.

Everything you find where?  You've linked to a benchmark that shows
JavaScriptCore is faster.... not really helping your case any... :)

> I see no reason that the proposal to integrate SpiderMonkey slim it
> down and do a little performance tunning is not valid and resonable
> approach. I see no reason to start from scratch on a new interpeter.

Who is starting from scratch?  Our interpreter has been around for
years.

> Finally I think this benchmark should be run agianst webkit/IE/Firefox
> and the results should be on the website it would be helpful. It took
> me a while to find a page with a reasonable set of results.

Results that you seem to have misread.... maybe you should keep digging.

Cheers,
dave
(hyatt at apple.com)