[webkit-dev] relative JS speed between Safari/Firefox

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Fri May 26 17:35:14 PDT 2006

I was looking at the Linux KDE numbers KJS where it is a lot slower.
I actually did not see the last number till later after the email was sent.
I was looking at the treecode branch.

Its impressive I did not believe it was possible to get a AST to
perform on par with bytecode you learn something every day
historically there 5-10 times slower.

Its seems I was wrong and gave the link to prove it :)

In this case Firefox1.5 on Linux with a score of 24 should be compared
to Safari 2.0 with a 22 and indeed the performance is on par.
Note that  Opera is a 10.  Now with a bytecode interpeter Webkit
should be down with Opera maybe even better.

I do agree now that the latest numbers look good. With that said my
fundamental concern about the AST approach is it does not scale well
to thousands of lines of javascript thats starting to show up in
current AJAX apps but if apples getting these numbers with a AST I'm
intrested to see the results with a optimized bytecode implementation.

Mike