[webkit-dev] Is WebKit's javascript subpar?

Kevin Newman CaptainN at unFocus.com
Fri May 26 10:23:21 PDT 2006

Speaking strictly as a web site/JavaScript developer, I can tell you
that it is most difficult to develop in Safari's JS implementation. It
does seem to have it's quirks, and they are difficult to debug for two
primary reasons. The JavaScript output in Safari 1.3 is terrible, and
frequently useless. This problem may have been fixed in later versions
of Safari/WebKit, however, that is the second problem. I develop on
Windows primarily, and have limited access to Safari and Mac OS X (like
many other JS hackers I would imagine).

My suggestion - if you want more people to use and become familiar with
the quirks of Web-Kit's JS runtime, port it to Windows. Then it can be
tested more easily by people using that platform - even if it's ugly. It
took me a long time to get familiar and comfortable with Mozilla's
quirks (yes it has them too), but I was only able to do so, because it
runs on my preferred platform (Windows). This would also help me create
test cases for bugs that I know exist in Safari, but can't find both the
time and the access to a recent enough Mac OS X machine to create.

BTW, if there is some way to test sites out in Web-Kit on Windows - even
if that means VMWare running Linux, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Thanks,

Kevin N.