[webkit-dev] -fstrict-aliasing error

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Mon May 15 08:38:54 PDT 2006

Andrea,

What warnings do you get?

I haven't tried compiling WebCore and WebKit with -fstrict-aliasing.
However, I suspect that the warnings and errors you get result from
type punning through pointers. To make the code safe for strict
aliasing, you would need to change all pointer-based type punning to
union-based type punning.

I think there's a compiler warning flag, like -Wstrict-aliasing, that
can help you track down unsafe type punning.

Geoff