[webkit-dev] making reductions

Alexey Proskuryakov ap-carbon at rambler.ru
Fri Mar 17 03:49:58 PST 2006

On 17.03.2006 06:23, "Ingo Chao" <info at satzansatz.de> wrote:

> - am I supposed/allowed to change the keyword NeedsReduction to
> HasReduction, or is this the job of someone else to decide if it still
> needs more reduction? (#4076, would need more reduction)

  The ability to edit all bugs requires a special permission in Bugzilla,
which is usually given together with a permission to confirm. I am not sure
about official policies, but basically, people who often screen and reduce
bugs do get it.

  Bug 4076 really does look like it could benefit from further reduction, I
agree.

> - how do I refer to needed images from this reduction page, can I upload
> them to bugzilla or should I refer via base to the original report page
> URL (which might change over time), or should I upload images on my
> server and refer via base again? (I had the problem with #6270/resolved now)

  It's always better to have a self-contained test case in Bugzilla, if
possible. Among other things, it can be used as a basis for an automated
layout test that needs to be included with a fix.

  One option is to attach .zip archives; it's also sometimes possible to
embed the images in HTML (e.g.,
<http://bugzilla.opendarwin.org/attachment.cgi?id=7072>).

> - is it required to match exactly the report page while reduction, or is
> it allowed to reduce and modify, as long as the bug is still
> reproducible? (#7737 changed colors etc.)

  Whatever helps to get the bug fixed is good, and many reductions don't
bear any resemblance to the original problem. Sometimes, but not always, it
might be a bit easier to follow the bug comments if such a resemblance
exists, though.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov