[webkit-dev] Greetings

Rob Burns robburns1 at mac.com
Sat Jul 22 00:47:12 PDT 2006

Hello All,

Not sure how active this list is, but I thought I'd introduce myself.
I've been browsing the WebKit website, downloading the latest build
and just checked out the source from the subversion repository. It's
a lot to wade through, but I hope to be able to contribute something.
There are a few technologies that I'm particularly interested in,
that show no mention on the website, and so I thought I'd ask for
some information and opinions here. The two omissions that most
interest me are: XForms (I submitted a bug) and CSS paged media.

I've been running some tests on Safari and some other browsers on
these specifications and apparently the supporst not there. However,
I'm wondering what the views of those most active in this project. I
see mention of WHAT WG and I'm not really sure how they play into the
XForms issue. From the reading I did on their website, they seem to
want to alter user-agents to bring XForms functionality to the old
HTML forms specification. If both the user-agents and the web app
developers will need to change to support the WebForms 2.0, then
what's the advantage over directly embracing XForms?

XForms:  I'm not sure where to start on this, but XForms relies
significantly on XPath, which I've seen mentioned at WebKit's
bugzilla. With XPath in place the binding of controls to a model
should be pretty straight forward to add. Also the XForms controls do
not add anything that Safari doesn't already render: just the
elements have different names and work slightly differently.

Paged Media and the @Page Directive: Is anyone else working on paged
media? This is something I'd be interested in taking advantage of,
but fear I don't have the know-how to contribute anything worthwhile
to this endeavor.

The last issue I'm interested in is editing XHTML. I''m working on an
editing app based on WebKit and, to my surprise WebKit doesn't appear
to support editing of XHTML. I thought it would just work. I might be
missing something, but from what I can tell WebView loads the file
(passed as NSString) then just lops off the DTD declaration and
turns  all the tag names into upper-case. That's with the latest
version of WebKit delivered by Apple. I haven't tested the latest
version from the repository. Since Safari does such an excellent job
of handling XHTML, I had thought the web editing functionality would
do just as well.

I was hoping to even add elements  from another namespace and be able
to use CSS selectors to style them. Which brings me to another issue.
Where would I look to see how WebKit handles the various elements and
CSS selectors.  It strikes me that WebKit need not be familliar with
a particular element to at least position the box for the element and
allow CSS properties to style it.Obviously, for certain elements this
would do now good (e.g., a MathML element for integral), but for a
wide assortment of elements, this would be a versatile and flexible
approach to handling unknown elements. In other words internally
handle any element as a span or div, but then set the default CSS is
display:none.

I welcome any comments, pointers, or recommendations. Thanks.

Take care,
Rob