[webkit-dev] Porting WebKit to PalmOS

Donald C. Kirker dkirker at wapuniverse.com
Mon Feb 13 21:25:36 PST 2006

On 2/13/06, "Krzysztof Kowalczyk" <kkowalczyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> You have to be aware that JavaScriptCore is only a small part of
> WebKit - it's only a javascript interpreter i.e. it can execute
> JavaScript scripts in source format. If you want to build a browser
> you have lots more to do, including building the html parsing and
> rendering engine and this stuff so far only works on MacOS (and
> Symbian, I guess, thanks to Nokia's work).

Yes, I am aware of this. I actually have a browser that I am working on,
WAPUniverse, http://www.wapuniverse.com/ or the new layout,
http://www.wapuniverse.com/beta/ and about v 3.0
http://www.wapuniverse.com/beta/products/wapuniverse.php. I am just looking
to port over the WebKit because WAPUniverse is starting to get limited. I am
not sure that its engine architexture could handle CSS.

As was suggested to me, I am using porting the JavaScriptCore as a precursor
to porting the full WebKit.

> For learning about JavaScript itself, either google around or read
> O'Reilly's "JavaScript - The Definitive Guide".

Something I need to start doing.

> For how to execute scripts - look at kjs\testkjs.cpp (which, on
> windows, builds as testkjs.exe) and is a simple example of how to load
> a javascript script from a file and execute it.

I should have know to look at the tests (DUH!!). Thanks.

> You would have to build something similar on Palm except:
> * Palm OS doesn't have stdout so you would have to substitute it with
> something else (e.g. writing to a database or a file on SD card or
> just scrolling to the screen)
> * Palm OS doesn't have command line so you would have to build some
> simple app that allows picking javascript file to execute from
> database or a file on SD card and then execute it

Yeah, not too hard.

> The approach I would suggest: get the WebKit sources which Nokia used
> as a base of their version (I assume they just branched at some point
> and did all their modifications from one, stable point) and do a diff
> against Nokia sources. That will give you the best idea on how much
> and what kind of work is required to port the whole thing to another
> OS.

Ok. I have been talking to Chauhan Deepika and he has told me that I have to
port over the KWQ code in the WebCore as well as create a WebKit (or port
Apple's) and a GUI. That will be a lot of work.

> history.back() is a method call on history object which is registered
> with JavaScript interpreter by WebCore (see
> WebCore\khtml\ecma\kjs_window.cpp for how it's implemented in latest
> sources)

Thanks for all of the help,
Donald