[webkit-dev] File splitter script

Eric Seidel eseidel at apple.com
Thu Feb 9 00:04:48 PST 2006

Maciej asked for me to submit my file-splitter script to Subversion
so that others can more easily go about completing our task of
splitting files out into one-per class.

The script "split-file-by-class" can be used to take a single file
containing many classes, and make many files, each containing one
class.  It automatically handles doing the proper svn copy/svn move
commands for you.

Usage:

split-file-by-class my_file_with_many_classes.h

You point it at the header, it does all the rest (including splitting
the corresponding .cpp file).

There are still lots of things I'd like to add to it, like better
handling of private classes, static functions, etc.  Right now it
will copy any text not specifically bound to one class to every
copied file.  (this means license headers, static functions, private
classes, etc.)

My normal usage includes:

1.  Run the script.
2.  Remove all remaining headers from the .h files.
3.  Search over the entire project remove all uses of the old header
name.
4.  Iteratively try to compile, adding back in the new header name
uses (and appropriate headers to the new split files).

-eric