[webkit-dev] SVN over HTTP

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Feb 1 13:33:40 PST 2006

On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:55 AM, bradley.morrison at nokia.com wrote:

> I'm looking at providing a number of developers access to the
> subversion repository from behind a firewall. WebSVN unfortunately
> only provides a read-only view into the repository and not full
> checkout access.
>
> Is it possible for HTTP proxy support to be turned on, ideally
> alongside WebSVN but maybe even replacing it?

We'd really like to do that, but there are some obstacles. The
svn.opensource.apple.com server is a Mac OS X machine onsite at
Apple. Here are some of the issues I discovered today investigating
this:

     - Subversion-over-HTTP requires Apache 2.0, which isn't
officially supported on Mac OS X.
     - The version of Subversion on that server, built by a group
here at Apple, does not include Subversion-over-HTTP support.
     - Some experts here at Apple have heard reports that Subversion-
over-HTTP is unreliable on Tiger, aborting during large commits,
possibly due to problems with poll(2) and similar issues.

At the moment, the folks running the server don't have the time to
maintain what would be an experimental configuration.

Maybe we can explore some other options?

     -- Darin