[webkit-dev] Problems building on Unix

Krzysztof Kowalczyk kkowalczyk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 23:18:17 PDT 2006

I just tried to build the latest SVN sources under Linux (Ubuntu 5.04).

As far as I can tell I get all my depndencies via
WebKitTools/Scripts/install-win-extras.

I did cd WebKitTools/Scripts; regenerate-makefiles

I went into Bakefiles directory and ran bakefile_gen.

I can build jscore by running make in JavaScriptCore directory.

However, when trying to build Projects/wx or Projects/gtk, I get the following:

kjk at ubuntu:~/src/webkit/WebCore/Projects/wx$ make
make: *** No rule to make target
`../../DerivedSources/WebCore/CharsetData.cpp', needed by
`obj-gnu/webcore_wx_CharsetData.o'.  Stop.

I can see that DerivedSources directory is empty. Somehow I get the
impression that WebCore/make-generated-sources.sh script was supposed
to be called with the right parameters but wasn't.

I can't find the place where it's supposed to be called (just calling
it from shell doesn't work because it needs to be passed name of the
ENCODINGS_FILE)

Can anyone offer some insight into what I might have missed?

Does anyone have the latest version building under Unix? If yes, which
project (wx or gtk)?

The only clue I have is that when running bakefile_gen I get:

3/7] generating msvs2005 from ../JavaScriptCore/jscore.bkl
warning: ignoring action target 'DerivedSources'

But this might be expected.

Any help appreciated.

-- kjk