[webkit-dev] Optimizing DOMNode _nodeWith

Timothy Hatcher timothy at hatcher.name
Mon Apr 24 11:24:28 PDT 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 8:19 AM, Matt Gough wrote:

> Now there is already a comment there that says:
>
>                 // FIXME: We could make the HTML classes hand back
> their class names and then use that to make
>                 // the appropriate Obj-C class from the string.
>
> I am guessing that this would go something like this, but before I
> go to the trouble of doing this for every class could someone make
> sure I am pondering the right thing.

Yes, this is the approach mentioned in the comment.

>             if (impl->isHTMLElement()) {
>                 HTMLElement* htmlElt = static_cast<HTMLElement*>
> (impl);
> 		wrapperClass = NSClassFromString(htmlElt->objcClassName());
> 	    }

You do not need to do any explicit conversion to NSString, you can
simply pass it around as if it was a NSString. You can due this
because String has a cast operator for NSString (operator NSString*())
—C++ will do the conversion behind the scenes.

> Does this all make sense?

Yes, this makes sense to me. Others, like Maciej, might have a new
opinion since that comment was written a long time ago. I would like
to see before and after numbers when you have everything changed over.

— Timothy Hatcher