[webkit-dev] Build system for ports

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Sun Apr 16 16:25:27 PDT 2006

Hi Mike and Timothy,

On Apr 16, 2006, at 2:45 PM, Mike Emmel wrote:

> bakefile generates xcode projects as I understand.

It does spit out a project with all the files, etc., but there's a
lot of features still missing from it, so it can't be used as-is. A
fairly good Python hacker familiar with the XCode2 project format
might be able to whip something up without too much time, though.

> Mike
>

> On 4/16/06, Timothy Hatcher <timothy at hatcher.name> wrote:
>>
>> This might be a good approach for Linux, Win32  and other ports,
>> but the Mac
>> side will likely need to stay all in Xcode projects. Xcode can
>> call out to
>> external Makefile/Bakefile targets, but when building universal it
>> gets very
>> complicated. We would need to lipo our binaries in another build
>> phase
>> script at the end. That is just one of the major complexities that
>> Xcode
>> handles for us that we know will always work with Apple's build
>> system.

Yes, I know, I've written scripts to lipo wxWidgets together because
the wxPython build system is autoconf-based. ;-) When the XCode2
backend for Bakefile is finished, though, we may be able to use that
instead.

Thanks,

Kevin